Sunday, June 28, 2020

Don't Make a Scene: The Natural

The Story: Set the day: July 23rd.

That will be Opening Day of the shortened 2020 baseball season.

I would advise that not just the catcher wear a mask.

The Set-Up: It has been a disappointing season for the New York Knights. But, this year more than most: the addition of 34-year old rookie Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford) has changed the fortunes of the Knights, putting them three games ahead of their nearest rivals for the pennant. At a banquet, Hobbs comes down with food poisoning—an attempt by a local gambler to sway the outcome of the season and Hobbs is laid up for three games, which the Knights lose putting them even with their rivals. Hobbs is informed that a bullet from a decade-past shooting incident has been removed from his stomach, and that because of the condition of his stomach-lining, he should retire from baseball. But, Hobbs is adamant to play for several reasons, even resisting an attempt of bribery by the team's owner to throw the game. He pays a visit to the clubhouse to see Manager Pop Fisher (Wilford Brimley) and Assistant Manager Red Blow (Richard Farnsworth). 


Play Ball!

POP FISHER: I wanted to win that pennant worse than I wanted any goddamned thing in my life. You'd think I could just this once, wouldn't you? 
FISHER: I didn't care nothing about the Series. Win or lose, I would have been satisfied. 
FISHER: I'd have walked away from baseball, and I'd have bought a farm. 
ROY HOBBS: Nothing like a farm. 
HOBBS: Nothing like being around animals, fixing things. 
HOBBS: There's nothing like being in the field...
HOBBS: ...with the corn and the winter wheat. 
HOBBS: The greenest stuff you ever saw. 
FISHER: You know, my mother told me I ought to be a farmer. 
HOBBS: My dad wanted me to be a baseball player. 
FISHER: You're better than anyone I ever had. And you're the best goddamned hitter I ever saw. 
FISHER: Suit up.


The Natural

Words by Phil Dusenbury and Roger Towne

Pictures by Caleb Deschanel and Barry Levinson

The Natural is available on DVD and Blu-Ray on Home Video.

No comments:

Post a Comment