Sunday, June 7, 2020

Don't Make a Scene: The Graduate

The Story: It was one of those "water-cooler talks." But, there wasn't a water-cooler.

"Didja see Barr the other day?" "About the protests? Yeah, yeah..." "Not a clue...but the most pathetic thing is when he used the term 'outside agitators'. It reminded me of..." "Yeah. Yeah. I know."

This scene. With no other comment.

The Set-Up: Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) is a little worried about his future. Just graduated with honors from college, he has spent the Summer hanging out at his parents', and having an affair with the bored half of their friends, the Robinsons—specifically Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft)—who has laid down the law (among other things) that Ben not date the Robinson's daughter, Elaine (Katharine Ross), despite the encouragement of the other parents that they go out. They do, and Ben realizes that he's in love with Elaine, despite her finding out about "the Robinson's affair" and refusing to see Ben ever again. But, Ben has decided that he wants to marry her and so in the fall, he goes to Berkley (where Elaine is taking classes) to try and win her back.

Action.

153 INT. ROOMING HOUSE HALL AND STAIRS - NIGHT - BEN AND MR. McCLEERY
From the bottom of the stairway, shooting up. MR. McCLEERY is the landlord of the rooming house. They are climbing a flight of stairs, Mr. McCleery first, then Ben, carrying his suitcase. 
MR. McCLEERY You a student? 
BEN: Not exactly. 
Mr. McCleery stops and turns. Ben almost runs into him. 
MR. McCLEERY What's that? 
BEN: I said - not exactly - no. 
MR. McCLEERY What are you then? 
BEN: Well - I'm just sort of traveling through. 
Mr. McCleery takes a couple of steps up, Ben following and stops again. 
MR. McCLEERY I like to know who's living in my house. 
MR. McCLEERY I like to know what my boys are up to. 
BEN: Ahhh.
Mr. McCleery just looks up at him. 
BEN: I'm not up to much, actually, I'm just visiting. 
BEN: I mean - I've always wanted to see Berkeley.
Mr. McCleery takes a couple more steps and stops again.
MR. McCLEERY You're not one of those agitators? 
BEN: What? 
MR. McCLEERY One of those outside agitators. 
BEN: Oh - no sir. 
MR. McCLEERY I hate that. I won't stand for it. 
He looks at Ben searchingly, then turns and continues up the stairs and down the hall.

The Graduate

Words by Buck Henry (and Calder Willingham)

Pictures by Robert Surtees and Mike Nichols

The Graduate is available on DVD and Blu-Ray from MGM Home Video and The Criterion Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment