Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Oscar Best Picture Nominees

So, here are the Best Picture Nominees for the 2019 Academy Awards. I'm traditionally cynical about the picks (everybody is...maybe they should make it out of jade, rather gold-plate it) as they tend to be fashionable and not transcendental. The winners rarely have much of a shelf-life, while many of the also-ran's are well-remembered. If you can remember what won last year...(INSERT PAUSE WHILE YOU THINK ABOUT IT)* then it might have a good chance of being what the public might consider a "classic". 

Sometimes they get it right. Most often, "it's an honor just to be nominated." It IS, you know. But, in the words of Richard Nixon, "winning's a lot more fun". And, really, what's an awards ceremony without some sour grapes?

For your convenience, here are links to the nominees with one exception—that exception being A Star is Born because...well, I didn't want to take another look at it...I've seen that story (three times, in fact) and I couldn't make it through the LAST one, so I skipped it.


Which one do I think will win? Really, I couldn't care less. 

But, I'll be watching (of course).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Black Panther

Blackkklansman


Bohemian Rhapsody


The Favourite


Green Book


Roma


A Star is Born


Vice





* The Shape of Water, people. Directed by Guillermo del Toro.

No comments:

Post a Comment