Sunday, July 2, 2023

Don't Make a Scene: Moonstruck

The Story: Why this scene...today?

I dunno. I could say that the Full Moon occurs tomorrow, July 3rd, and the Full Moon is VERY important to the events going on in Moonstruck.
 
I could say that, because it is true. But, that's not the reason.
 
Actually, the reason is the scenes have been very "male-centric" recently and I wanted to rectify that with a scene with a woman in it, and the dervish that is Cherilynn Sarkisian certainly applies (look at her in this! In most of the screen-caps, she is merely a blur, as she's in constant motion!). Cher won the Academy Award for her performance, which anchors a lot of work by a collection of very fine character actors.
 
And the script by Pulitzer Prize-winner and Oscar and Tony Awards-winning scribe John Patrick Shanley is equal parts comedy and drama, effervescent and melancholy, romantic and lunatic, steeped in self-imposed tradition and liberating flying-against-convention,and is quotable...by anybody.

It's also funny as hell.
 
The Set-up: Loretta Casorini (Cher) is having one of the worst engagements ever. It's not like she's a Bride-zilla...but, it seems everybody else is! Her first husband was hit by a bus, so Loretta is taking no chances this time with a traditional church wedding (not City Hall!) to her intended, Johnny Cammareri (Danny Aiello). Johnny's off to Sicily to see to his dying Mama, so Loretta is stuck making arrangements, including Johnny's request that his estranged brother Ronny (Nicolas Cage) attends the wedding. Loretta intercedes...and things...get complicated.
 
Action.
 
INT. RONNIE'S APARTMENT - BEDROOM - DAY 
Morning sun floods the room.
Close on Loretta,
she wakes up. 
LORETTA
Oh my God. 
RONNY
What? 
Loretta jumps from bed, grabs her clothes to cover herself, and backs into closet. 
LORETTA What? What have we done? 
RONNY
(perturbed) Take it easy. 
LORETTA
(from closet as she hurriedly gets dressed) This time...
LORETTA
...I was trying to do everything right. 
RONNY
(he grabs a bathrobe, pulls it on, puts it on and moves towards the closet.) Don't just become excited. 
LORETTA
I thought if I stayed away from the City Hall, I won't have that Bad Luck I had again. 
RONNY
You're trying to make me feel guilty. 
LORETTA (Off-screen) I'm marrying your brother! 
RONNY
All right, I'm guilty. I confess! 
LORETTA
You're invited to the wedding! It's The wedding's in a few weeks. You're invited, okay?
LORETTA
Why How come didn't you do didn't be like him and be with your dying mother in Palermo? 
RONNY
She didn't like me. 
LORETTA
You don't get along with anybody! 
RONNY
What did you do? 
LORETTA
What did I do? 
RONNY
You ruined my life. 
LORETTA
That's impossible! 
LORETTA
It was ruint when I got here! You ruint my life! 
RONNY
Oh no I didn't! 
Loretta emerges from the closet, tucking in her blouse. 
LORETTA Oh yes, 
LORETTA
oh yes you did! You've got those bad eyes like a gypsy! Why didn't I see it yesterday! 
LORETTA
Bad Luck! Is that all I'm ever gonna have? 
LORETTA
Why didn't I just pick up a stone I shoulda taken a rock and killt myself years and years ago? 
LORETTA
I'm gonna marry him! Do you hear me?
RONNY What? 
LORETTA
Last night never happened, you hear me? 
LORETTA I'm gonna marry him anyway and last night never happened, and you and I are gonna take this to our coffins! 
RONNY
I can't do that! 
LORETTA
Why not? 
RONNY
I'm in love with you! 
Loretta stares at him in alarm,
slaps his face, 
then studies his face to see the effect of the slap. 
She is dissatisfied 
and slaps him again. 
LORETTA
Snap out of it! 
RONNY
I can't! 
LORETTA Alright. 
LORETTA
Then I must never see you again. 
LORETTA
The bad blood will have to stay there between you and...
LORETTA
...Johnny for all time. 
LORETTA
You won't come to the wedding. 
RONNY
I'll come to the wedding. 
LORETTA
I'm telling you you can't. 
RONNY
But he wants me to come! 
LORETTA
But that's cause he don't know! 'Kay?
RONNY
Now wait a minute! Honey...Listen...
RONNY
Alright. 
RONNY
I will not come. Provided one thing. 
LORETTA What? 
RONNY
That you come with me tonight. Once. To the Opera. 
LORETTA
What are you talking about? 
RONNY
I love two things. I love you, and I love the Opera. 
RONNY
If I can have the two things that I love together for one night, I will be satisfied to give up...
RONNY
Oh Christ!
RONNY
...the rest of my life. 
LORETTA
Alright. 
RONNY
Alright. 
LORETTA
ALRIGHT! 
RONNY
Meet me at the Met. 
LORETTA
Alright. 
LORETTA
Where's the Met?
 
 
 
 
Moonstruck is available on DVD and Blu-Ray from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment